Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Birdcage Veil Instructions

I just got a message from Mary Ann from over at Made By Mary Ann and she suggested that I show you all her tutorial so here ya go! Big thank you out to Mary Ann, I know that many brides will be thrilled to read this!

So here, I will list out my step by step instructio
ns on how I made the birdcage veil. Let me preface by saying I am no expert in making these veils...many crafty items I make evolve from lots of trial and error, not from trained expertise. By scouring the Internet, I have found lots of questions on how to make BC veils, but very little answers (well, at least the kind of answers I'm looking for which include step by step instructions with pictures). So with the information I have gleaned and my experimentation, this is what I have come up with:

Supplies

French or Russian millinery netting in your choice of width
Hair clip

Ribbon that matches the color of the netting

Glue (I use the stinky E6000, available at craft stores and Wal-Mart)

Thread and needle


Useful Info

So one of the reas
ons that the netting looks so cool is because it has two manufactured edges on it. You never want to cut these off! You will want one of the manufactured edges to fall across your face. To cut the netting, you will cut along the two non-manufactured edges.

Manufactured edge along bottom, cut (non-manufactured edge) along left side

Step 1
Determine where you want the hair clip of the birdcage veil to sit on your head. For me, I wanted it to sit slightly towards my left and slightly forward, so that the veil would angle down across my eyes and nose (as opposed to the ends lying horizontal across my face). From here, I was able to determine which width I would use. If you read the prior post, you know that I bought the 8", the 12" and the 18" widths. I took one of the manufactured edges and held it against the clip. The 8" fell a little to short (which works great for the bandeau style) and the 18" was a little to long; it fell below my chin (which works great if you want a larger one that encases your face). The 12" fell correctly so that's the one I chose. I cut it at approximately 30 inches in length along the non-manufactured edge.

Step 2 (optional)

Glue the ribbon to one end of the clip, wrap and glue at the other end. The reason I do this is to have something to stitch to, but it's not required. I did this same thing when I made the fascinator.



Step 3
Stitch the corner of the netting to the corner of the clip. I used the corner of the manufactured edge on the bottom of the veil (the part that would be touching my face).



Step 4
Take your thread and weave it in and out of each netting hole (diamond). You'll go up one of the cut edges, across the other manufactured edge (the side that does NOT touch your face) and down the other cut edge.**



Step 5

Pull the thread taught, gathering the netting. Go ahead and try it on to see if you like how it lays, fits, falls, etc. Make any necessary adjustments now.


**Note: I re-did this part 3 times. The first couple times, it was too poufy on the top. I cut the corners off at first, and finally, ended up cutting more length off the non-manufactured edge to get the look I wanted (which ended up being about 25 inches across the manufactured edge, laid flat). Better to start with too much material and trim down!

Step 6

If you're satisfied with the look of it, stitch the other manufactured corner from the bottom of the veil (the side that touches your face) to the corner of the clip.


Step 7

Make a few stitches through the gathers onto the length of the hair comb for extra reinforcement.



Step 8

And you're done! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by The Perfect Palette! Be sure to check back on Tuesday the 5th to see who the lucky winner is! Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete